Friday, February 03, 2006

www.540i6.com - BMW Ultimate Cupholder Cup Holder

www.540i6.com - BMW Ultimate Cupholder Cup Holder

cupholder-desk-front

The stock cup holders in most BMWs are useless and I couldn't find an after-market cup holder that worked well and wasn't way over-priced, so finally I designed one myself. It's a nicer version of one that I made a long time ago. I've used it in all three of the BMWs that I've owned (E34, E36, and E39). It's the best approach for a practical cup holder that I've found yet for the 5 Series cars.

It's a simple, one-piece, all-metal design, made from 20 guage 304-grade stainless steel. It's large enough to actually be useful in the real world. Unlike the stock cupholders, it's basically indestructable - no moving parts or little plastic pieces to break. I tried a number of more complex approaches, but, as in the case of many things, the most simple seems to work best. (It's a cup holder - how complicated does it need to be?)

.
.
.

I have these CNC cut by laser, and then form and finish them by hand. Even though you don't really see them much in use, I wanted something that looked nice enough to put into the cars. I think it came out pretty well. If interested, you can get one here: BMW cup holders at http://www.ultimatecupholders.com. They also work with Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, Acura NSX and other cars with a similar console arrangement.

No comments: